WORD LAB is a learning group at Penn Libraries focused on text analysis in all disciplines. Unless noted otherwise on the schedule below, we meet every Friday 12-1:30pm in 623 Van Pelt (Vitale II Media Lab, sixth floor). Our activities include:
- A discussion or workshop based on current research, with speakers virtually or in person
- Discuss an article or project previewed before the meeting
SPRING 2020 SCHEDULE:
- Jan 24, 2020: Read and discuss "Diversity in AI is not your problem, it’s hers" (Robert Munro, November 11, 2019)
- Jan 31, 2020: **LOCATION CHANGE: 242 VAN PELT** Presentation by Michael Williams (Penn Libraries) on web scraping and processing data with Google Sheets for fun and profit
- Feb 7, 2020: NO WORD LAB TODAY!
- Feb 14, 2020: Read and discuss "How Quartz used AI to sort through the Luanda Leaks" (short post, so follow the links included to many other resources)
- Feb 21, 2020: NO WORD LAB TODAY!
- Apr 24, 2020: Presentation by Elias Saba, WORD LAB alum and founder of Tahrir Documents on his new research project (via video call)
- And stay tuned for further weekly sessions TBD!